Best Bench Grinder 2018
If you are looking for a tool to sharpen, polish, clean or shape any metal object, a bench grinder is the perfect choice for you. If you are a woodworker, construction specialist or own a workshop where you need to use a lot of tools, bench grinders are a must have to keep your tools handy with precision.
Even if you are a homeowner, you can reduce your costs of making simple metal adjustments for repairing your home tools with bench grinders. However, using a bench grinder can be tedious and requires careful attention.
Compare: The 10 Top Rated Bench Grinders
|1||Tormek T-7 Water Cooled Precision Sharpening System||Tormek||$$$$|
|2||DEWALT DW756 6-Inch Bench Grinder||Dewalt||$$$|
|3||WEN 4276 6-Inch Bench Grinder||WEN||$$|
|4||DEWALT DW758 8-Inch Bench Grinder||Dewalt||$$$|
|5||JET 577102 JBG-8A 8-Inch Bench Grinder||Jet||$$$|
|6||Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed Bench Grinder||Delta||$$$|
|7||Eastwood 1/2HP 8" Combination Bench Grinder & Belt Sander||Eastwood||$$$|
|8||SKIL 3380-01 120-Volt 6-Inch Bench Grinder||Skil||$$|
|9||POWERTEC BG600 Bench Grinder, 6-Inch||Powertec||$$|
|10||Rockwell ShopSeries RK7867 6-Inch Bench Grinder||Rockwell||$$|
Our Bench Grinder Reviews
Valued at an economical price, the WEN 4276 6-Inch Bench Grinder can be used for a variety of tasks from sharpening blades to cleaning rough objects or removing ragged edges. This product is created by WEN with the aim of delivering optimized performance and functionality at an affordable price. WEN is one of the leading makers of high-quality industrial products and is best known for industrial innovation.
It provides one of the quietest and powerful 2.1 Amp motors with which you can expect quick startups with smooth performance. It also maintains a steady speed of 3450 rotations per minute (RPM) making it great for all kinds of workstations. The base is made of cast iron which limits vibrations and is an excellent choice for its stability.
It features a pre-installed 60-grit wheel for general purpose grinding and a rough 36-grit wheel for speedy material removal. The flexible work light improves precision and visibility as it lightens up the workspace. The protective eye guards which are also adjustable help you to operate safely as they provide essential protection from sparks and debris. Also, the adjustable tool rest allows excellent support for perfect grinding.
- The price is cheap which will not pinch your pocket and will give the full value of money you invest because you can use it to sharpen blades, polish steel, remove ragged edges, and much more.
- The motor is designed for longevity and runs smoothly.
- The adjustable work light provides optimized visibility and accuracy while the eye guards ensure safe operation.
- It is lightweight weighing only 16 lb. So, it is suitable if you are moving it around for work.
- The design helps in wheel guard removal for wheel changes.
- As for all products of WEN, this bench grinder also comes with a 2-year warranty. You are also assured for a customer friendly and knowledgeable helpline with a wide network of skilled technicians in case of service.
- The durability of the product is low.
It might need constant repairs and maintenance.
If you are looking for a bench grinder that can handle heavy-duty at a reasonable price, the DEWALT DW756 Bench Grinder will be a great choice. It is manufactured by DEWALT, an already established brand which creates high quality products for industrial use. So, you can be rest assured about the quality of the bench grinder. The focus was to create a powerful bench grinder with modern look.
The powerful 5/8 HP induction motor makes it versatile for heavy-duty grinding operations as well as general grinding operations. The motor also doesn’t make much sound and runs at a 3450 RPM for easy high speed material removal. The bench grinder also comes with a sturdy industrial cast iron base and motor housing that ensures durability.
The 36 and 60-grit wheels are ideal for all grinding purposes which includes sharpening and shaping tools, rust removal, cleaning objects and smoothening of rough edges. The 12-1/2-inch distance between wheels help in longer and larger grinding applications while the adjustable aluminum tool rests help in positioning the work accurately for precision. The eye-shields and spark deflectors ensure safe operation and the rear exhaust ports in wheel guards facilitate smooth operation. However, it is always advisable to handle with care to avoid accidents.
- The price is affordable within the $100 price range. This will be worth your money if you are in search of a bench grinder for all purpose grinding.
- The powerful induction motor can also be used for industrial grinding applications. It not only helps in general grinding operations but also made for heavy-duty grinding.
- The electric powered motor helps in quickly finishing even long-term projects.
- It is designed for prolonged life.
- The bench grinder is covered from any manufacturing defects with a three-year limited warranty (from the date of purchase). Within one year, DEWALT will replace corroded parts caused by normal use and will provide free service under their one-year free service contract.
- It lacks stability though it comes with a sturdy industrial cast iron base.
- The bench grinder may overheat and is therefore, not recommended for use over an extended period.
The Tormek T-7 Water-Cooled precision Sharpening System is a highly effective sharpening tool with great features for improved accuracy, ease and safety. Tormek is a best known global brand which develops unique sharpening systems with advanced innovation, functionality and quality. With a combination of water-cooled, low-speed, durable grindstone and an angle master that helps in attaining the exact needed angle for precision, this system is perfect for professional sharpening applications.
The wet and slow-speed grindstone minimizes friction and over-heating increasing tool life and won’t remove much material from the tool while sharpening. It features 11 jigs for most types of tools maintaining a precise edge and angle for every specific tool. It also features a square-edge jig that lines up chisels or plane blades at 90 degrees without any adjustment for increased accuracy. The Angle Master helps in adjusting the jig’s angle from 10 degrees to 75 degrees and can also be used to measure the existing angle of an edge tool.
The Universal Support contains a micro adjustment system for better setting and you can simply raise and lower the Universal Support with the aid of the Angle Master to achieve the preferred sharpening angle. The 10 inch stone has a 220-grit surface and the Stone Grader lets you to change the surface to a 1000-grit with ease for effective and fine finish to the tool. The system features a 10-inch by 2-inch stone wheel which gives you a broad and durable sharpening surface.
The powerful and heavy-duty motor turns the wheel at a speed of 90 RPM and can be run continuously for extended projects. The system also features a shaft of stainless steel with E-Z lock feature which helps to remove the grindstone without tools for better convenience. The system’s Diamond Truing and Dressing Tool with screw feed make it possible to restore a worn stone to an even surface.
- With a powerful electric-powered motor and no chances of overheating, it is highly recommended for extensive and prolonged use.
- It is designed for the toughest work and ready for industrial use.
- The Stone Grader adds to versatility in sharpening and polishing.
- It comes with a wide range of jigs that can quickly and easily sharpen any tool in your house or workshop.
- The Angle Master helps users to set their desired angle of the jig to the grindstone with ease.
- The Diamond Truing and Dressing tool provides a perfectly sharpened edge.
- It is also backed with a seven-year warranty which includes commercial use.
- The price of the Tormek T-7 is on the higher side and you may feel it is expensive. However, it is entirely worth the price because of its excellent features and warranty of seven years.
Our Top Rated Bench Grinders
What Is A Bench Grinder?
A bench grinder is equipment that is used to keep your tools or power tools useful for as long as possible. It is a two wheel system which sharpens tools, repairs broken blades and polishes your tools that have become dull. Each wheel comes at a factory-set RPM and the reason of their effectiveness is due to their rotating speeds. Bench grinders can quickly sharpen or repair your tools if used with the proper wheel grit.
It is also cost-efficient as it usually costs a fraction of the amount required to replace your tool sets. All the parts of a bench grinder is made to have a complete control over the power and speed of the grinding wheels. However, they should be used carefully to ensure safe usage avoiding accidents.
What Are The Advantages Of Owning A Bench Grinder?
Anyone that works with metal will find that owning a bench grinder is a necessity for smoothing rough edges or imperfect welds made by an MIG welder. A bench grinder is an essential tool in the metal working process. Bench grinders with different grit stones make it easy for the users to shape, sharpen, repair or polish a wide range of tools without the need of replacing the grit stone. They offer great control and can do more than just grind or polish. Also, they are cheap, easy to maintain and use, and costs less when it comes to repairing or replacing.
They can be used for every tool repair. If it is used with other sharpening tools, it can be used for long-term. Bench grinders are also safer than other equipment for sharpening, polishing, shaping and buffing metal. The functionality is simple and one can easily learn the process of its operation within few hours.
What Are The Different Types Of Bench Grinders?
There are various types of bench grinders available which not only comes with variation in sizes but also serves a unique function.
- Variable Speed Bench Grinder – This provides speed variations for increased flexibility and control while most of the bench grinders come at a factory-set speed.
- Automotive Grinders – They focus more on being reusable for long periods without stone adjustments. This is mainly important due to the high volume of metal work in a machine shop which includes all kinds of modifications such as engine parts, door handles, or other body pieces.
- Woodworking Bench Grinders – The tools used for woodworking need to be precise. Usually, slow speed bench grinders are used to keep these tools perfect as they reduce friction and do not remove plenty of material from the tool while sharpening.
- Electric Grinders – They are portable grinders with electric-powered motors which assist in not running the bench grinder manually. Also, it can be used for great tool usage projects making it ideal for industrial usage.
Considerations for Choosing the Best Bench Grinder
Whether you’re replacing an old, dated grinder that just doesn’t get the job done or you’d like to add one to your garage or workshop, you have to know what you’re looking for before you make your purchase. Making the right choice while purchasing a bench grinder is vital. You need to be sure if you are looking to buy a bench grinder for industrial use or only for your home tools. Moreover, you need to know what kind of metal you will be working with and if you will be using it to sharpen, buff, polish, or grind any metal. The stone grit should match the speed of the grinder rotation.
Grinders made for household and general use may cost around $100, while industrial machines can easily run up to $1,000 or more. Price should be considered since you need to balance your budget with your needs and other important features.
Any type of power tool is bound to have issues after years of heavy use. If your product has a defect that renders it useless after you’ve used it just a few times, a warranty gets the repair, replacement, or refund you deserve.
Larger grindstones can handle more heavy-duty jobs, while smaller stones are fine for household knife and tool sharpening.
The balance between the wheels needs to be perfect otherwise it not only might cause damage but also can result in accidents during usage. The speed at which the wheel rotates determines the time that will take for buffing or sharpening a tool and whether it will heat up when it comes in direct contact with the metal. Usually, 3500 RPMs are a standard for professional bench grinders.
An inexpensive grinder is not that great of a deal if you have to purchase additional items to use it. Check for what is included in your purchase to ensure that you’ll be able to use your new tool right out of the box.
Bench grinders can do a lot more than simply grind. As we come towards the conclusion, it is always important to keep safety in mind while making the purchasing decision and these above mentioned bench grinders are worth your consideration if you are looking to buy one. It is always advisable that you personally go through the product specifications before making your final call.