Best Tanning Oil 2017
Summer is the time to flaunt your skin. But what good is it if your skin is light and pale? Don’t you just wish you had Jennifer Aniston or Kim Kardashian’s radiant bronze skin?
Well, it’s time you treated yourself to some high-quality tanning oils to attain that dreamy tan you have always longed for. So how do you get started with tanning your skin?
In this article, we will answer all your questions regarding tanning and provide an extensive guide to ensure that you have a safe and beautiful tanning session. But before we delve into the details of the tanning process, let’s explore the ten best tanning oils available in the market today.
Compare: The 10 Top Rated Tanning Oils
|1||Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil||Hawaiian Tropic||$|
|2||Australian Gold Dark Tanning Accelerator Spray||Australian Gold||$$|
|3||Maui Babe Browning Lotion||Maui Babe||$$|
|4||Millenium Tanning New Solid Black Bronzer Tanning Bed Lotion||Millenium Tanning Products||$$|
|5||Ed Hardy COCONUT KISSES Golden Tanning Lotion||Ed Hardy||$$|
|6||Australian Gold Cheeky Brown Tanning Lotion||Australian Gold||$$|
|7||Maui Island Secret Browning Formula||Maui Island Secret||$$|
|8||NIVEA Sun-Kissed Radiance Gradual Tanner & Body Lotion||Nivea||$|
|9||Ocean Potion Suncare Dark Tanning Xtreme Amplifier Oil||Ocean Potion||$$|
|10||Banana Boat Dark Tanning Oil Spray SPF 4 Sunscreen||Banana Boat||$$|
Our Tanning Oil Reviews
The Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil is a high-quality oil that you can apply throughout the summer. Moreover, you don’t have to empty your pockets in doing so.
This tanning oil not only provides a rich tan but also manages to liven up your skin with its long list of natural ingredients. With a blend of antioxidant vitamins like A, C, E, coupled with a mixture of natural tanning oils, it ensures that your skin remains healthy while providing the tan you desire.
- It contains a combination of rich natural tanning oils and antioxidant vitamins such as A, C, E.
- This product contains exotic moisturizing ingredients.
- This tanning oil also comprises of skin conditioners.
- It has a very pleasant coconut fragrance.
- The total quantity is 8 oz.
The ever increasing popularity and the overwhelmingly positive reviews are a testament to this tanning oil’s capabilities. However, the only letdown is the lack of sunscreen in this product. If you apply sunscreen before using tanning oils, then you should definitely consider purchasing this brilliant tanning oil.
The Australian Gold Dark Tanning Accelerator Spray, unlike many tanning solutions, works brilliantly in both indoor and outdoor conditions. Its formula contains a unique blend of natural extracts which help in accelerating the tanning process while ensuring proper care for your skin.
This tanning solution also contains vitamins A and E which not only help in reducing the damage caused by prolonged exposure to UV rays but also aids in preventing tanning-related wrinkles.
- Its formula consists of vitamins A and E.
- This tanning solution contains a Biosine Complex which consists of Olive Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Pro Vitamin B5.
- The moisturizing ingredients of this product help in battling against dehydration and wrinkles to keep your skin silky smooth.
- The product includes natural Quinoa extracts in its formula.
- The spray nozzle helps in minimizing wastage.
- The total quantity is 8.5 oz.
If you are looking for a tanning solution which is quick to function and works both indoors and outdoors, then this is as good as it gets. But it’s not perfect. This solution can get a little greasy and leaves an unpleasant odor after a tanning session.
If you have used tanning oils before, then you must have heard of the Maui Babe Browning Lotion. It single-handedly dominates the tanning oil market. So what makes this tanning lotion so irresistible among serial tanners?
As its name suggests, this tanning lotion produces a glowing brown tan. Moreover, the tan is totally natural. This tanning solution is made from an old secret family formula, comprising of authentic Hawaiian ingredients which make the tanning process smooth and efficient.
This unique tanning lotion also consists of aloe which enhances your skin’s protection. And on top of that, this product is water resistant and also acts as an insect repellant!
- This tanning lotion contains Light Mineral Oil and Kukui Nut Oil.
- It includes natural Hawaiian ingredients like Aloe and Kona Coffee Plant Extract.
- This product also contains antioxidant vitamins like A, C, and E.
- It is water resistant.
- It can be used along with sunscreens.
- The total quantity is 8 oz.
Simply put, the Maui Babe Browning Lotion is the gold standard for all tanning products. It provides the perfect tan and best of all it works well with sunscreens to ensure that you stay safe while tanning. Barring the odor, it is the perfect tanning lotion available in the market today.
Our Top Rated Tanning Oils
A Guide To Tanning Oils
A glowing tan can be an excellent way to boost your self-esteem. Hence it’s no surprise that people with pale skin aim for that perfect tan. However, tanning comes with its drawbacks as well.
Prolonged exposure to UV rays can be extremely harmful to your skin and is one of the leading causes of skin cancer. And in this extensive guide, we will not only help you choose the best tanning solution for you but also prepare you for a safe and healthy tanning session.
What is a tanning oil?
In brief, tanning oil is a product which enhances the process of tanning. After you apply the tanning solution to your body and expose yourself to the UV rays, your skin quickly attains a darker shade.
However, that is not the only purpose of a tanning oil. Most tanning oils comes with a variety of ingredients to help in moisturizing and protecting your skin. They also come with varying levels of Sun Protection Factor (SPF) ratings.
What is meant by SPF rating?
It’s the SPF ratings that determine the level of protection from sunburns. SPF refers to the capability of the sunscreen to block UVB (ultraviolet B) rays which give you sunburns. These ratings don’t refer to the protection against UVA rays. Both UVA and UVB are responsible for enhancing the risk of skin cancer.
It is important to note that SPF ratings are misleading. You might be led to believe that a product with SPF 30 will offer twice the protection as opposed to a product with SPF rating of 15. However, that is not the case.
From a scientific standpoint, an SPF 15 sunscreen blocks about 94% of UVB rays, whereas an SPF 30 sunscreen blocks 97% of UVB rays. An SPF 45 product on the other hand only manages to block an extra 1% of UVB rays compared to an SPF 30 sunscreen.
Hence, a much higher SPF rating doesn’t contribute to a vastly superior level of protection. In most cases, a product of SPF 30 will suffice.
What are the different types of tanning oils?
Tanning oils can be divided into two categories based on their versatility.
- Outdoor tanning oils – This type of tanning oil is primarily used for outdoor tanning. They do not work well in case of tanning beds and can damage the acrylic inside it.
- Indoor and outdoor tanning oils – These tanning oils are meant for both indoor and outdoor use. They do not affect the acrylic inside tanning beds.
Tanning oils can also be classified according to their resistance to sunburns.
- SPF rated tanning oils – Some tanning oils have a high SPF rating and provide good protection against sunburns. You do not need to apply sunscreen lotions before using these tanning oils.
- Zero SPF tanning oils – Tanning oils like the Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil offer no protection against sunburns. You must apply a high SPF rating sunscreen lotion before using this kind of tanning oil.
Are tanning oils safe?
In a word, yes! Tanning oils aren’t dangerous at all, but the process of tanning is. Here are some of the potential risks of tanning.
- Prolonged exposure to UV radiation can cause premature skin aging.
- Outdoor tanning can cause sunburns.
- Tanning, especially indoor tanning, can significantly elevate the risk of skin cancer.
Tanning oils accelerate the process of tanning and reduce the time you spend on this potentially dangerous procedure.
Indoor Tanning Vs. Outdoor Tanning
While many people prefer the convenience and privacy of a tanning bed, it comes with many health risks. Indoor tanning is far more perilous than tanning under the sun. While there aren’t any chances of getting sunburns, it vastly increases the risk of skin cancer.
In fact, studies have shown that people under the age of 35 who undergo the process of indoor tanning increases their risk for melanoma by 75 percent!
Outdoor tanning is only comparatively safer. Tanning under the sun for an extended period can increase the chances of getting skin cancer along with sunburns. However, using sunscreens or SPF rated tanning oils can reduce these risks of outdoor tanning.
Some Tips for Achieving a Safe and Beautiful Tan
At this point, you might be perturbed by the risks of tanning. But there’s no need to worry! You can undoubtedly achieve your dream tan without putting yourself in grave danger. Here are some ways to ensure that you have a healthy and wonderful tanning session.
- Use sunscreen, or SPF rated tanning oils – If you are planning on getting a sun tan, you must apply a sunscreen lotion, or an SPF rated tanning oil. The FDA recommends a minimum SPF rating of 15, though it’s best to stay on the safe side and go for a product with SPF 30 rating. In case your tanning oil doesn’t come with any sun protection, rub on some sunscreen and wait for it to dry out. Once it dries out, you should apply the tanning oil.
- Clean your body before applying lotions – Before you use any of the lotions or oils, it is a good practice to wash and dry your body properly as moisture can quickly attract dirt.
- Balance is key – Make sure you don’t spend excess time tanning your front compared to your back. Balancing the time between your front and rear is essential to achieving the perfect tan.
- Moisturize your skin and stay hydrated – Tanning outdoors can cause your skin to dry up and lead to premature skin aging. Also, you end up getting dehydrated in the process. Hence it is always a good idea to carry your moisturizer and a large bottle of water when you head out to tan.
Choosing the Best Tanning Oil
In a market crowded with a large variety of tanning products, it is important to know which tanning oil is best-suited to your needs. Here are some of the factors you should consider before buying your next tanning product.
If you plan on tanning under the sun, you should consider getting a tanning oil with an SPF rating of 15 and above. Tanning products with SPF 30 work the best. On the other hand, if you already own a reliable sunscreen lotion, there’s no need to consider the SPF rating. In fact, you can save some cash by going for a tanning product with no sun protection.
Extra Ingredients for Added Benefits
Most tanning oils include moisturizers in the formula to prevent your skin from wrinkling. Some products also include a range of antioxidant vitamins to enrich your skin.
Most tanning oils leave a stench after a tanning session. However, some tanning products, like the Hawaiian Tropic Dark Tanning Oil, have a soothing fragrance. If you are too bothered by the smell of the tanning oils, you should consider a product containing fragrant ingredients instead.
Tanning products can start from under $10 and go beyond $30, depending on the SPF rating, brand and added features. Most of the best-selling tanning oils fall in the $8 to $15 price range for an 8 oz bottle.
Indoor or Outdoor Use
While some tanning oils are specifically meant for outdoor use and can damage the acrylic inside tanning beds, others are well rounded for both indoor and outdoor tanning purposes. If you are someone who tans indoors frequently be sure to check out the compatibility of the product first.
After reading this article, you can surely acknowledge the fact that tanning comes with its benefits as well as drawbacks. However, with the knowledge of our extensive guide, we are sure that you will act judiciously and minimize the potential dangers of tanning. We wish you the best and hope you achieve the radiant bronze tan you desire.