Best WiFi Thermostat 2017
You and your family are coming home from a week-long vacation. To cut down on energy costs while you were gone, you turned off the air conditioning in your home. You step into your house, and it feels like you just stepped into an oven. This could have been avoided had you been able to operate your thermostat in the car.
A WiFi thermostat can be adjusted from just about anywhere, whether it be from 3 feet away or 2,000 miles away. To help you make an educated purchase, this guide will inform you on the best WiFi thermostat, what to look for in a thermostat, and a bevy of other information.
Compare: The 10 Top Rated WiFi Thermostats
|1||Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation||Nest||$$$||4.9|
|2||ecobee3 Smarter Wi-Fi Thermostat with Remote Sensor, 2nd Generation||ecobee||$$$||4.9|
|3||Honeywell RTH9580WF Wi-Fi Smart Touchscreen Thermostat||Honeywell||$$||4.8|
|4||Nest Learning Thermostat, 2nd Generation||Nest||$$$||4.8|
|5||Sensi Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat 1F86U-42WF||Emerson||$$||4.7|
|6||ecobee Smart Si Thermostat 2 Heat-2 Cool with Full Color NON-Touch Screen||ecobee||$$||4.6|
|7||LuxPro GEO-WH Wi-Fi Connected Thermostat||LuxPro||$||4.5|
|8||Radio Thermostat CT50 7-Day Programmable Thermostat||Radio Thermostat Company of America||$||4.4|
|9||Honeywell TH6320WF1005 Wi-Fi Focus PRO 6000 Thermostat||Honeywell||$||4.3|
|10||Iris Smart Thermostat||Iris||$||4.3|
Our WiFi Thermostat Reviews
For a thermostat in its price range, the Iris Smart Thermostat is exceedingly intelligent and programmable. Capable of scheduling up to four different temperature changes a day, it learns user preferences over time and automatically enacts changes. With a cell phone app that’s compatible with Android and iOS, it will allow you to control your HVAC system from just about anywhere. If you’re looking for the best WiFi thermostat at a budget price, you should definitely give it a look.
- Highly intelligent and programmable
- Very simple to set up
- Minor WiFi connectivity issues
- Programming preferences require a couple of minutes to take effect
With HVAC compatibility similar to that of higher-priced thermostats, this Emerson Sensi thermostat delivers high-end value for a reasonable price. Though not as intelligent as other thermostats on the list, it allows for 7-day programming that will ensure your house is always at its correct temperature. Easy to install and ridiculously accurate, its quality far exceeds its price. If you’re looking for a great WiFi thermostat at a fair price, this is the best WiFi thermostat for you.
- As accurate as they come
- Superb programmability
- LCD screen can be difficult to read
- Though the description says otherwise, it does, in fact, require a C-wire to be installed
With the exception of the ecobee3 Smarter WiFi Thermostat, the Nest Learning Thermostat is miles ahead of any other WiFi thermostat on the market. As intelligent as any thermostat you’re going to find, it learns your temperature change habits quickly and enacts them seamlessly. Simple to install and highly compatible, its cell phone app allows for simple temperature manipulation whether you’re near of far.
- Ridiculously intelligent
- Superb programming capabilities
- Top-notch compatibility
- Doesn’t display the actual temperature; only displays the set temperature
Our Top Rated WiFi Thermostats
What Is A WiFi Thermostat?
A WiFi thermostat allows you to operate your HVAC system without the use of wires, allowing for maximum flexibility and convenience. Syncing up to the majority of HVAC appliances with ease, it allows for a relatively simple and straightforward setup that doesn’t necessitate a professional.
With the use of a cell phone app, users can control these thermostats from anywhere that has an internet connection. Providing people with the opportunity to alter the climate of their homes at any given time and place, these thermostats will keep houses comfortable and help to cut down energy costs.
Did you know that installing a WiFi thermostat can save you up to $145 a year on your energy bills? That’s $145 you can spend on time with friends and family, or throw into a savings account for a rainy day. But it’s not just energy savings that these thermostats offer.
The best WiFi thermostat:
- Reduces your impact on the environment by only heating and cooling your home when it’s necessary.
- Allows you to adjust your home’s temperature remotely, so you can make your home cooler or warmer even if you’re at the office or on the train ride home.
- Extends the life of your HVAC system by alerting you when it’s time to perform key maintenance tasks.
Most people love the idea of having a wireless thermostat in their home. They just don’t know which model to choose. That’s where we come in. We created this guide to help you find the best programmable thermostat for your needs and budget.
What Are The Advantages Of Owning a WiFi Thermostat?
A WiFi thermostat allows for the temperature inside your home to be adjusted from just about anywhere, whether it be from the comfort of your bed, or from thousands of miles away while you’re on vacation. As long as you have a cell phone and the thermostat’s app installed on it, the climate of your home can be changed instantly.
While these types of thermostats are often more expensive than wired ones, they require less maintenance and will help to reduce energy costs in the long run. Nothing allows the temperature of a home to be controlled quite like a WiFi thermostat.
Switching from a programmable to a smart thermostat provides many additional advantages:
- Adjust to schedule changes. The wireless thermostats allow you to use a companion app anywhere internet access. If you’re staying out late, making a last unplanned trip with friends, or staying an extra day on vacation, you can allows open up the app and make an adjustment. These may seem like small changes but they will add up in energy saving quickly.
- Reprogramming made simple. The WiFi thermostat can adjust automatically to daylight saving time. Programmable thermostats have menus that make it frustrating to setup an initial 7-day programming schedule, let alone making adjustments later. Smart thermostats have nice interfaces that make scheduling a simple task.
- Check in. As a homeowner, it provide a peace of mind knowing I can keep an eye on my home at all times. With the Honeywell Smart WiFi thermostat you can get an email notification every time my home gets too hot or cold. Maybe the system is having a problem or it’s just a really hot day.
- Usage Reports. Many units now provide detailed energy reports, such as the Nest and ecobee, to keep the you engaged in the usage.
- Charming. The new wave of WiFi thermostats are finally changing the ugly white squares of the past into modern looking masterpieces.
Considerations for Choosing the Best WiFi Thermostat
While the primary purpose of a WiFi thermostat is to be able to alter the temperature of your home remotely, there are a number of other aspects to consider. HVAC compatibility and ease of installation are incredibly important to consider as they will directly affect the overall cost of the thermostat. It’s also important to consider programming capabilities because they will have a direct influence on how much energy your thermostat is able to conserve.
Before purchasing a WiFi thermostat, it’s important to make sure that it’s compatible with your HVAC system. The majority of in-home systems operate on a low-voltage 24v power supply. While most thermostats will be suitable for a system of this size, it’s a good idea to be absolutely certain before putting down the money.
While many thermostats must be adjusted manually whenever you want to change the temperature, a great number of them can be programmed to automatically change the temperature at given times. A few of them are even capable of learning your heating and cooling preferences, and changing temperatures automatically without being programmed.
Programmable and learning thermostats are capable of automatically turning off air conditioners and heaters at given times, helping to conserve energy. Before making a purchase, it’s wise to confirm that the thermostat is able to set heating and cooling schedules. This will save you tons of money in the long run.
Ease of Installation
A hefty professional installation fee will drastically drive up the price of any thermostat you choose. Fortunately, a great number of thermostats can be installed quickly and easily by the user. In many instances, it’s just a case of attaching two wires and connecting the device to your WiFi network.
WiFi thermostats are revolutionizing the way that people control the climates of their homes. Allowing for nearly effortless manipulation of temperatures through the use of phone apps, these thermostats have made indoor climate control easier and more efficient than it’s ever been before.
Precision devices like the Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation provide users with the temperatures that they want, when they want them. No more sweaty, sleepless nights. No more unnecessarily high energy bills. Nothing but relaxation and comfort on command.