Camping can be a great way to get away from it all, reconnect with nature and enjoy the fresh air. Privacy tents are a great way to get some privacy when camping. They can also help keep you and your belongings dry if it rains, or give you shade from the sun. Keep in mind that DIY versions will not be as sturdy as store-bought models. This is because they aren’t made of heavy-duty materials like canvas, but more lightweight materials like tarpaulin or polyester fabric. That being said, DIY versions can still provide a lot of value for those who want to save money on this purchase!
Tents for camping are great, but they’re not always the best option. Especially when you have to unpack and pack up your tent every day, it can be a pain.
This guide covers everything you need to know about DIY privacy tents including how to build them, what materials are best suited to DIY privacy tents, and some tips for DIY privacy tent success.
What is a DIY Privacy Tent for Camping?
A DIY privacy tent for camping makes an excellent backdrop and concealment from insects when cooking in your campsite or relaxing near the fire.
Some benefits of DIY privacy tents for camping are:
- They’re lightweight and pack up into a small bag, so you can take them anywhere;
- They provide instant shade from the sun or protection from rain in a pinch; and
- They’re great for those on a budget! Keep these things in mind when making a DIY privacy tent for camping, and you’ll have one in no time!
How to Make Your Own DIY Privacy Tent for Camping ?
It’s really easy to make your own privacy tent for camping. This DIY guide for building a privacy tent for camping, but it’s still going to cost you some money.
You will need:
- Tarpaulin or a polyester fabric of choice.
- A couple of poles, optional. One pole can work if you have something like an old broomstick lying around and want to use that instead.
- Duct tape or any other strong adhesive.
- Paracord so you can use to hang things.
- You will need a big knife or scissors to cut the tarpaulin or fabric.
- You can measure with a measuring tape or a yardstick.
The total will depend on the size of your tarpaulin or polyester fabric in feet by how long and wide they are–be sure not to forget about diagonally positioned pieces when building one of these tents! You could also use an old broomstick if you don’t have any extra poles lying around. Using duct tape, this DIY privacy tent for camping should take less than an hour to put together, with no experience necessary. It might be a little less sturdy than store-bought models, but it will do the job in a pinch!
First, you want to measure the size of your tarpaulin or polyester fabric in feet by how long and wide it is. Keep that measurement handy! Then start marking out the shape for your tent with a pen on the ground; this will help you make sure everything lines up when you’re done.
When you’ve finished the shape, cut out a piece of tarpaulin or polyester fabric that is about twice as big as your shaped area–this will give you some extra material to work with on all sides and make sure nothing hangs off the edge! Lay it flat inside your design so that one side of the fabric is touching the edge, and then use duct tape or any other strong adhesive to attach it.
Next, you’ll need a couple more tarpaulin pieces that are big enough to cover your poles diagonally from corner-to-corner while lining up with one side of the first piece of material you attached (make sure that the seams line up). Cut a hole at each end of these diagonally positioned tarpaulins, so you can create an opening for your tent.
Lastly, insert one or two poles into this opening and attach any extra material from the diagonally placed pieces to them with duct tape to secure everything in place. You should now have a DIY privacy tent for camping!
Note: This will not be as sturdy as a store-bought model, but it can still provide some valuable protection. Keep this in mind when making your own DIY privacy tent for camping.
Benefits of DIY Tents Over Store-Bought Versions
- They’re lightweight and pack up into a small bag, so you can take them anywhere.
- They provide instant shade from the sun or protection from rain in a pinch.
- Furthermore, they’re great for those on a budget! Keep these things in mind when making your DIY privacy tent for camping.
Tips for DIY Tent Success
- Make sure to use strong adhesive
- Measure your material in feet and include diagonally positioned pieces for a sturdy tent; and
- Don’t forget the poles! They’re not necessary, but they will give you some extra stability.
Making one of these tents doesn’t take long at all, you can have it set up in no time if you follow this guide!
We all need to take our alone time every once in a while, and camping can be an excellent way to do that. Privacy tents are the perfect solution for getting some privacy when you’re roughing it outdoors; they can also help keep your belongings dry if it rains or give you shade from the sun!